Growing up, I had only one friend in my entire class that had food allergies. She was deathly allergic to peanuts. This was not common and wasn’t treated with the delicateness that we show our children these days. Unfortunately, because of this, she passed away from eating a product that was manufactured in a facility that also dealt with nuts.
These days it seems every other child I know has a severe allergy to at least one food including my own children. My oldest has what Johns Hopkins calls a “secondary allergy to cow dairy”. She doesn’t display the typical rash, shortness of breath and other anaphylactic symptoms of a typical allergy, yet it is far more severe than just an intolerance. Ingested in any form she will get intense intestinal issues ranging from constipation, cramping, diarrhea, nausea and other such painful symptoms.
My youngest two start having major breathing issues when they ate avocados. After researching this fruit as an allergen, I noticed a recurring theme. Maybe they weren’t actually allergic to the avocado itself, but the latex that is injected into them to give them a nice sheen. WHAT?! How is this allowed? Why are our FDA regulations allowing even the tiniest of latex and other “chemicals” to be injected into our foods, and especially those that we deem as healthy like fruits and vegetables?
This led me down a road of really investigating the foods my family eats and their impact on our lives. GMOs, gluten, dyes, preservatives, organic, home grown, and free-range are all words that are tossed around with regard to food now, but what does it all mean? How do I know what is really good for my family and what is harmful?
Continue reading here…